Strom Thurmond Career & Technology Center FFA
Learning To Do - Doing To Learn - Earning To Live - Living To Serve
The Strom Thurmond Agricultural Education (Ag. Ed.) department at STCTC is making a positive difference in the lives of students by developing their potential for Premier Leadership, Personal Growth, and Career Success through Agricultural Education.
The program is an integral part of the Edgefield County School District in Edgefield South Carolina. In our program the students are engaged with real scenarios, data, tools, and experts they will encounter in college, on the job, and in life (through their classroom experiences and Supervised Agricultural Experience) – Students learn the best when they actively engage in solving meaningful problems! We offer courses in many different fields, including, but not limited to: Horticulture, Forestry, Environmental Natural Resources, Turfgrass, Agricultural Sciences and Ag. Mechanics. Many of our courses also share an articulation agreement with Augusta Technical College in Augusta GA. We also participate in many community, state and national events and organizations.
Strom Thurmond FFA Officer Team
Congratulations to the Strom Thurmond FFA Nursery Landscape Team, 2014 State Champions!!
Congratulations to the Strom Thurmond FFA Turf Grass Team, 2014 State Champions !!!
Congratulations to the Strom Thurmond FFA Farm Business Management Team, 2014 State Champions !!
Dr. Darla Steele - FFA Advisor
Mrs. Steele is currently in her sixth year as the agricultural education instructor at Strom Thurmond Career Center. She is a 2004 graduate of Strom Thurmond where she was an active member of the Thurmond FFA Chapter. As a FFA member, Mrs. Steele helped her chapter by participating in the following events: Extemporaneous Public Speaking CDE (1st State), Creed Speaking CDE (3rd State), Nursery/Landscaping CDE (1st State, 10th National), Floriculture CDE (3rd State), State and National FFA Conventions, State FFA Leadership Camp, State FFA Legislative Day, Miss FFA Pageant Finalist, various volunteer and community events, as well as serving as Vice-President and President of the chapter. Mrs. Steele is a Clemson graduate, where she received both her Bachelor’s of Science and Masters Degrees in Agricultural Education. At Clemson, Mrs. Steele was involved in the following events: Clemson Collegiate FFA (Secretary and Vice-President), 2004 1st Runner-up Farm Bureau Discussion Meet, Block and Bridal (Social & Scrapbook Chair), SC’s Agricultural Education Advisory Committee, Ag. Mechanization & Business member, 2006 Agricultural Education’s Advisors’ Award, 2008 Lloyd Blanton’s Outstanding Graduate Student Award, as well as being inducted into the Alpha Tau Alpha Honors Society in 2007 and graduating Cum Laude. She received her Doctorate Degree in Educational Leadership in 2013. Mrs. Steele currently teachers Horticulture I & II, Agribusiness, and Ag. Science. She is married to Michael Steele and they reside in Johnston, SC with their daughter Beckett Camdyn.
Mr. Jeremy Brooks - FFA Advisor
Mr. Brooks has been an agricultural education instructor at the Strom Thurmond Career Center since 2012. Prior to joining the STCTC staff, Mr. Brooks was the agricultural education instructor at MVHS for ten years. During his time as an educator he has been fortunate to receive many awards and accolades from his peers. He has been recognized twice as the South Carolina Lower State Region Agricultural Education Teacher of the Year, recognized as the South Carolina Young Agricultural Education Teacher of the Year, received the NAAE Teacher Turn the Key Award, received the National Vocational Education Outstanding Teacher Award presented by the USAF, named a CSRA WJBF Channel 6 Golden Apple Award Winner, and in 2010 was the recipient of a 2010 Toyota Tundra Truck as advisor of the national Post Secondary Agriculture Program of the Year. Mr. Brooks is a 2002 Cum Laude graduate of Clemson University with a Bachelor's of Science Degree in Agricultural Education and a minor in Agricultural Mechanization. Mr. Brooks resides in Johnston South Carolina on his family farm with his wife Hope, his four dogs (Stinkey, Tiney, Piggy, and Lolly), his farm cat (Kat), and his wife's flying squirrel (acorn). Mr. Brooks currently teaches Environmental and Natural Resource Management, Wildlife, Turf and Lawn Management, Sports Turf Management, Equipment Operations & Maintenance, and Agricultural Mechanics.
Leigh Northrop - FFA President
Hobbies: Shag dancing
Best FFA Memory: National FFA Convention
College Plans: Attend Clemson University to major in Ag. Communications.
Geddings Jhant - FFA Vice President
Hobbies: Hunting ,fishing ,and drag racing
Best FFA Memory: Competing in farm business at nationals and the whole experience
College Plans: Attend Clemson University to major in Mechanical Engineering.
Austin Hall - FFA Secretary
Hobbies: Hunting, fishing and anything outdoors.
Best FFA Memory: National FFA Convention
College plans: Attend Piedmont Tech for two years and then transfer to Clemson for a degree in Ag.
Alana Thurmond - FFA Treasurer
Hobbies: Any outdoor activities
Best FFA Memory: Attending FFA Nationals in Louisville, Kentucky
College Plans: Undecided
Carolyn Barrett Guess - FFA Reporter
Hobbies: Youth group, softball, volleyball, camping and going to the lake
Best FFA Memory: Going to State for Tool ID
College Plans: To go to Clemson to major in nursing.
Scott Sherman - FFA Sentinel
Hobbies: Hunting, fishing, kayaking and being with friends.
Best FFA Memories: National FFA Convention.
College Plans: Attend Georgia Tech or Clemson University to major in Engineering.
Lucky Bailey - FFA Junior Advisor
Hobbies: Hunting, fishing and spending time with friends and family
Best FFA Memories: Mr FFA
College Plans: To join the US Marines then study Agriculture Education
Maggie Hightower - FFA Historian
Hobbies: Shopping, fishing, and reading.
Best FFA Memory: Getting stuck in the tsunami of a rainstorm at State FFA Convention.
College Plans: Attend Charleston Southern to major in Nursing and get my RN
Bailey Pedersen - FFA Chaplain
Hobbies: Playing volleyball, hunting, working in the greenhouse, and acting
Best FFA Memory: Winning state in farm business
College Plans: To attend college and major in exercise science to become a physical therapist.
Hunter Herrin - FFA Parliamentarian
Hobbies: Hunting and fishing
Best FFA Memory: Attending Camp Wildwood.
College Plans: Attend college to major in Agriculture.
Strom Thurmond Career Center Agriculture Program In The News
(Edgefielddaily.com) (Edgefielddaily.com) (Edgefielddaily.com) (Edgefielddaily.com) (Edgefielddaily.com)
This page was last updated: February 16, 2015
Strom Thurmond Career Center Agriculture Program
- February 23, 2015 - National FFA Week - Luncheon For All Member in Mrs. Steele's Room
- February 24, 2015 - National FFA Week - FFA Meeting in Mrs. Steele's Room
- February 25, 2015 - National FFA Week - Legislative Appreciation Day in Columbia S.C.
- February 27, 2015 - National FFA Week - Senior FFA Breakfast
- February 27, 2015 - National FFA Week - Mr. FFA Pageant (Pendleton HS @ 7:00p.m.)
- March 7, 2015 - STCTC Sporting Clays Tournament
- March 10, 2015 - Tool ID Practice After School
- March 11, 2015 - Mid-State Tool ID Contest
- March 11, 2015 - Mid-State P.O.W. Training (Potential Officer Workshop)
- March 14, 2015 - 3rd Annual Edgefield County Agriculture Day (STHS @ 12:00)
- March 21, 2015 - State Nursery Landscape and Floriculture Contest (Spartanburg)
- March 24, 2015 - State Tool ID Contest
Important Forms & Documents
Field Trip Forms
Strom Thurmond Agriculture Program Supporters
Strom Thurmond Agriculture Program Sponsors
Superior Donor - $10.00 +
Bronze Emblem Donor - $25.00 +
Silver Emblem Donor - $100.00 +
- Dr. Tom Proctor - North Augusta Animal Hospital
- Big Smile Peaches - J.W. Yonce & Sons
- American Forest Management
Gold Emblem Donor - $500.00 +
- SC Rural Rehabilitation Corporation
Materials & Supplies Donor
National FFA Silver Emblem Chapter
Show your FFA PRIDE and buy a FFA LIFE decal for your car or truck. The decals are white vinyl on a clear background and are UV resistant. Decals are $3.00 each or two for $5.00. See Mr. Brooks or Mrs. Steele to buy yours, or email the STCC Agriculture Dept.
Support the STCC FFA and scan your Bi-Lo Booster Plus Card today. See Mrs. Steele or Mr. Brooks if you need a card.
2012 - 2013 Academic Year
- 1st Place South Carolina Mid-State Region Invitational Tractor Operations CDE (Highest Individual Colton Kirkland)
- 1st Place South Carolina Mid-State Region Tool Identification CDE (Alana Thurmond Highest Individual)
- 2nd Place South Carolina State Wildlife Management CDE (Diana Palma, Andrew Ball, Logan Pollock, Geddings Jhant, Ben Rohr, & Tori Lazenby)
- Colton Kirkland Named "Mr. FFA Wear" at Annual South Carolina Mr. FFA Pageant
- Trent Miller named 1st Runner-Up at Annual South Carolina Mr. FFA Pageant.
- Allie Jhant Named Miss South Carolina FFA 2013.
- 3rd Place Mid State Region Public Speaking - Creed CDE (Sam Prescott)
- 3rd Place Mid State Region Public Speaking - Extemporaneous CDE (Leigh Northrop)
- 1st Pace South Carolina State Floriculture CDE (Karson Barrett, Alana Thurmond, Tori Lazenby, Rachel Farmer, & Brittany Hutchins)
- 1st Place High Individual South Carolina State Floriculture CDE - Karson Barrett
- 3rd Place High Individual South Carolina State Floriculture CDE - (Tie) Tori Lazenby & Brittany Hutchins
- 3rd Place South Carolina State Nursery Landscape CDE (Morgan Spaulding, Brittany Berry, Kayce Locklair, & Hannah Sexton)
- 1st Place High Individual South Carolina State Nursery Landscape CDE - Morgan Spaulding
- 1st Place Career & Technology Education Award - Trent Miller
- 4th Place State FFA Tool Identification CDE (Alana Thurmond, Austin Hall, Henry Cartrett, & Mallory Fulmer)
- 2nd Place South Carolina State FFA Agronomy CDE (Trent Miller, Ryan Thurmond, Ben Rohr, & Scott Sherman)
- 3rd Place High Individual South Carolina State Agronomy CDE - Ryan Thurmond
- 1st Place South Carolina State FFA Turfgrass CDE (Robbie Guess, Allie Jhant, Geddings Jhant, & Chelsea Taylor)
- 1st Place High Individual South Carolina State Turfgrass CDE - Robbie Guess
- 2nd Place High Individual South Carolina State Turfgrass CDE - Allie Jhant
- 3rd Place High Individual South Carolina State Turfgrass CDE - Geddings Jhant
- 3rd Place South Carolina State FFA Forestry CDE (Robbie Guess, Ryan Thurmond, Ben Rohr, Clay Timmons, Leigh Northrop, & Micah Goforth)
- 3rd Place High Individual South Carolina State Forestry CDE - Ryan Thurmond
- 4th Place Woodlands Clinic (Robbie Guess, Ryan Thurmond, Ben Rohr, Clay Timmons, Jimmey Foley, Colton Kirkland, Allie Jhant, & Logan Pollock)
- 1st Place South Carolina State FFA Farm Business Management CDE (Scott Sherman, Allie Jhant, Geddings Jhant, & Trent Miller)
- 1st Place High Individual South Carolina State Farm Business Management CDE - Trent Miller
- 2nd Place High Individual South Carolina State Farm Business Management CDE - Scott Sherman
- Karson Barrett Selected To Serve on South Carolina FFA State Officer Nominating Committee
- Allie Jhant Recognized as a Clemson University Teach Ag Ed Recipient
- Nine Recipients of the South Carolina State FFA Degree (Allie Jhant, Ben Rohr, Jimmey Foley, Robbie Guess, Ryan Thurmond, Diana Palma, Colton Kirkland, Cody Borden, and Trent Miller)
- Trent Miller Recieved State Proficieny Award For Agricultural Services
- Named a national FFA Gold Star Chapter
- Received the South Carolina Governor's Citation for Student Development
- Recieved 100+ % Membership Award from The South Carolina FFA Association
- Selected as The Winning Chapter For Dinner With The South Carolina Commissioner of Agriculture
Accolades & Accomplishments